Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Wisdom of Captain America


Jay and I finally got to celebrate our eight-year anniversary, and, cool wife that I am, I thought we should go see The Avengers.






(My oldest, Jack, has always loved his Hulk action figure.)




I love a good superhero/mutanthero movie, and this film exceeded my expectations. (Perhaps because I didn’t have very many? I’m a little behind on the storylines of most of the heroes involved. In any case, I thoroughly enjoyed myself.)

A particularly important plot line caught my attention and made me think. At one point, Thor and Ironman are fighting while the real bad guy sits on a cliff. Captain America brings up the point that this is not the best plan of action. Later, Thor tells the Hulk (who is angry, of course, and bringing the smack-down on Thor): “I’m not your enemy.”

In Genesis 11:5 (Wait, what? She just jumped from The Avengers to the Bible? Yeah, I’m like that.), God recognizes the power of mankind. When we unite, we can do anything.  I tend to be stubborn and rebellious, but these qualities have helped me in life. I decided being a good girl was the rebellious thing to do in my public high school (since it wasn’t the norm), and my stubbornness kept me going. We can also use our strength in numbers for good or for evil. In Genesis 11, the plans to build a giant tower in praise of their own awesomeness was thwarted by the God of Ultimate Awesomeness. He ruined their unity, because He knew that would ruin their ability.

When we get together, we can accomplish so much—but too often we either 1) go it alone, 2) use our united strengths for the wrong purposes, or 3) waste our energies fighting the wrong enemies.

If God is for me, who can be against me (Romans 8:31)?

Me.


Jack and Captain America

this post is linked up with
Beholding Glory






On In Around button
The Alabaster Jar

10 comments:

  1. United we stand, divided fall… unless we are building the tower of Babel, which is what some would still like to be doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is too easy to turn praise of God's greatness into praise of our own!

      Delete
  2. hmmm... the God of Ultimate Awesomeness, that is a really good title for Him. I think I will use it henceforth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome to, Annalisa. I give you my ultimate permission.

      Delete
  3. Happy Anniversary! Love the way your mind works- superheros, super God-seems like a natural jump to me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like to think I am creative instead of chaotic!

      Delete
  4. Awesome. God is for me and like I've heard someone say, If God is then everyone else might as well be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And if they aren't, then at least the Best One is!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for linking up this week, I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete