Friday, September 21, 2012

Today


“Today is only one day in all the days that will ever be. But what will happen in all the other days that ever come can depend on what you do today."

--Ernest Hemingway

Those who know me know I love Ernest Hemingway. From his intriguing life to his ingenuity in the craft of writing to his fondness of cats--Hemingway captivates me. In some ways, my research has brought me to believe that Hemingway had so many wives and so many lives (the war hero, the war corespondent  the hunter, the fisherman, the bull fighting enthusiast, the traveler...) because they were the fuel for his writing. 

"Write about what you know." That is the adage we pensmen hear: at the top of the list of author advice. 

What do I know? 

I know my faults. I see them glaring at me most days. I know my strengths, and I enjoy pushing myself towards being even better. 

I know love. Family. Honor. Duty. Sacrifice. Elation. Sorrow. All of those things I know more acutely than I did before because of motherhood. 

I know that this balancing act of mothering, wifing, professoring, Christianing, writing, hoping, editing, friending, cooking, and every other bit that is my life is not easy. 

And I know that “today is only one day in all the days that will ever be. But what will happen in all the other days that ever come can depend on what you do today."

I don't share this quote as a threat. (Why is she giving me so much pressure? I already stress about not meeting everyone's needs every day!) I share it as a reminder: don't forget today. In the midst of the chaos, find the beauty.

I am glad for the gift of today: another day to achieve goals, love others, reflect Glory, dream, eat, and sleep. And we don't have to accumulate spouses or excel at a multitude of hobbies to affect others with our gifts. Whatever stops you from finding fulfillment in today (worry? Corrie Ten Boom says, "Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of its strength."), to to get past it because, as Dr. Seuss says, "Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!"

And your being you today is a beautiful thing.





Above: A friend's small business, Mansion and Marsh, gave me this adorable tee shirt. Below: What fun it is to pull out the leggings! And I got this dress from Ross, one of my favorite stores. 



No comments:

Post a Comment