Sunday, September 2, 2012

Ways to Feel Pretty (during times that aren't pretty)

Let's face it: there are times when we feel a little more frightful and a little less "fearfully and wonderfully made" (Psalm 139:14). Blah days happen to the best of us, but there are a couple of ways to add some sunshine when the blah clouds approach.

1) Hold a baby.
Not only do you look more lovely face-snuggled up with a little one, you also stand a good chance of some of those sweetness-vibes rubbing off on you.
2) Belt it.
I just recently learned of the saving powers of the right belt. The dress below was a gift from Indonesia from Jenny Kemala, a fashion teacher at O'More College of Design. When I put it on, I was swallowed by the beautiful fabric. I figured the belt wouldn't help, but remembered Jenny telling me to try one, so I did. Belts can make you feel skinnier and more put together.

 3) Get some fake bling.
Early on in my pregnancies, I could no longer wear my wedding or engagement ring. I've gone through two pregnancies and hauled around babies ring-less. I finally decided about a month ago to get myself a honking new bit of bling: this fake yet lovely piece from Target. Since I'm pretty good at playing pretend, I have no difficulty drifting off into the belief that this is the giant diamond of my dreams, and my thrifty side rejoices.
 4) Hair experiment.
Sometimes all you want to do at the end of a long day is put your hair in a messy bun. If you are like me, you feel this is a sign of beauty-defeat. Last week I played around with the classic knot, twisting the front of my hair into a braid-like strand before tying everything off with a rubber band. I felt a bit more "together," and the style only took a minute longer than a regular bun.

 5) Walk in the Word.
I bought some henna, and I've been using a little trick to memorize Bible verses. I write the location on one foot and a part of the verse on the other. For about two weeks, I am daily reminded of God as I repeat the words over and over until they stick. After all that fades, I write in a new verse. Someone noticed and said, "You are walking in the Word!" I like that.
 6) Wear sunglasses.
My mom and I like to walk in the mornings before we have gotten ready for the day, pushing strollers as we chat and exercise. We tend to see more people than we'd like in this messy-faced/hair/body state. Then we realized we feel much more "in cognito" with the simple addition of a pair of sunglasses. The bigger the frames, the better you hide.
 7) Wear a tiara.
Wait--you don't wear a tiara to clean your house? Maybe you should some time.
 8) Laugh.
“I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person.” --one of the most beautiful women of all time, Audrey Hepburn

this post is linked up with

pleated poppy

4 comments:

  1. I love this post, great ideas, love the bible verse on the feet :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! All of these are great ideas. Will have to try the tiara sometime while cleaning the house :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure which idea is more awesome- the tiara or the bible verses on your feet. Either way these are great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of temporarily tattooing yourself with Scripture! These are all great tips for feeling beautiful!

    ReplyDelete