Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Illustrated Woman

I'm working on a book of poetry for children, illustrated by my students, and I thought it would be fun for the "about the author" section to have drawn Jessas.
by Brianna Miele
by Anastasia Morozova


by Sarah Keaggy


In a photograph, you still see yourself through the lens of your own perspective. Looking at an illustration of yourself, done by someone who has sat in class and watched you teach, is an eye-opening experience. I love each of these for various reasons, mainly because I enjoy seeing how the same image can be interpreted three different ways through each artist's style and proclivity. I note some similarities, which probably means those features are part of what is definably me. And, the older I get, the more comfortable I become with those features, with this face, with this whole being me situation in general. 







Someone told me the floral dress above looked like a ModCloth buy. What a compliment! I got it at Oldnavy.com for $17. The belt is from a store called Lola I found in the Mall of America. My sweet grandmother is Lola Bell, so I had to buy something in her honor. The earrings (half-hidden by my hair) were made by my friend Melinda Dabbs.


I've realized it is hard to get a photo of your dress on your own. 

this post is linked up with

pleated poppy

No comments:

Post a Comment